Great Mosque, Damascus
(Click on image for high-quality PDF version)
- The symmetry group of the tiling is *442 (p4m).
- All the internal angles of the constituent polygons are a multiple of 22.5°.
- Contains three squares.
- Contains one regular 8-pointed star polygon with vertex angle of 90°.
- There are five non-regular reflective tiles (including one kite).
- The tiling satisfies the interlace condition and has three finite interlaces and no infinite interlace with straight cross-overs.
- The tiling is edge-to-edge.
- As drawn, contains about 207 polygons.
- Page 61 (top) (Great Mosque, Damascus, Syria) of Henri Stierlin. Islam: Early Architecture from Baghdad to Cordoba, Volume 1. Taschen, 1996. ISBN 382288561. [stierlin]